After 2 years of going haywire from the blogging world (maybe less coz I blogged for The Borneo Blog), I have decided to blog about my first 100km ultra trail marathon experience. Initially wanted to do it via Instagram but I have reached the maximum number of characters that I had to cancel my post entirely. I also thought blogging would be easier to backtrack just in case I wanna go back and reflect to the crazy things that I had gone though in life 😅
If am gonna start with my preparation and costings this would take awhile to finish, so am just gonna go straight to race day. Here goes nothing.
Pre-race: 15th September 2017 (Friday)
I was definitely feeling the pressure, my condition before race day;
- I fell on my butt the week before race day. Actually I fell a couple of times at Bukit Padang before. WHY?!? 😕
- I was on and off of sickness (flu, fever, cough, sore throat) for a month or so, had hives all over my body (every time I feel heaty), was allergic to everything, on antihistamine every 3-4 days. Had to go gluten and dairy free for few days.
- I twisted my right ankle after my B2B training (roughly 50km total) and was still recovering. Went to chiro to fix it, after 5 days, I started running, slowly. Went to the sports doctor to check my legs, apparently I still have minor swelling on my right ankle (there's minor pain but that's manageable).
- Had issues with my lower spine few years back and still managing that 🤣 (manageable with stretch).
- Diagnosed with plantar fasciitis on my left foot maybe a year ago (manageable with splint and stretch).
- Had an allergy on my right eye, was off contact lens for a week. Blurry vision everyday.
I was also on and off running for a month. The panic OMFG! Tried to clock in as much mileage.
Had the hardest time to sleep after I packed and checked everything. I didn't want to take antihistamine but was itching so badly, I would wake up and rub ice all over to cool my body till it's finally time to wake up. That's when I realized that both my eyes were swollen, popped a pill *sigh.
Race day: 16th September 2017 (Saturday)
|Funny friends. Lucu ko mond.|
|The early risers.|
I swear I remembered that the bus transfer to the starting point leaves at 3am. I was at Avangio around 2:10am. So early. I could have slept longer if I know it actually leaves at 3:30am lol. Bummer. Thanks Pame for getting me buns and mineral water 😘.
Photos before the the journey.
The bus left at 3:36am and I managed to get some shut eye.
|With Pame and the other 100km participants, sorry pacer 🙈|
Arrived Lingkubang at slightly before 5am (that was fast) and settled the drop bag before crossing the hanging bridge (that took awhile, traffic jam). Mind you, I had my glasses on and had to switch to contact lens.
Scanned my timing chip and stretch a bit. That sudden moment when your back suddenly in pain 😟 maybe it's just nerves.
Group photos with group of peeps! 💜
It was so crowded and there were too many people, sorry if I didn't spot some of my friends.